GLAUMBAER FARM TURF HOUSES
People lived in Glaumbær turf house until 1947. A farm has stood on this site since the settlement of Iceland in year 874 - give or take a few years. The present farmhouse consists of 13 buildings and the "newest" addition to the turf house was built in 1876-1879. The oldest parts of the turf house date back to the mid 18th century.
CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE
Hofskirkja Church, dedicated to saint Clement, was built in 1884, and was the last turf church built in the old architectural style. Its walls are thick and assembled of rocks to give stability as well as insulation, an important element to consider in the Icelandic climate. The roof is made of stone slabs and covered in turf. It is one of six churches in Iceland still standing, which are preserved as historical monuments.